Closing Your Pool for Winter
Follow these simple steps to close your pool effectively so you can open to clean, clear water next season.
Always close per your manufacturer’s recommendations for your pool, pump, heater and all other equipment.
- Check for algae and brush surfaces.
- Remove debris from water and skimmer basket(s).
- Test and balance water.
- Adjust Free Chlorine to the high end of 1-4 ppm.
- Check and clean your filter.
- Shock the water and let it circulate for six hours.
- Apply an algaecide to prevent algae growth.
- Shut down equipment per owner’s manual, this may include a partial water drain.
- Cover your pool if desired.